Katrinacus Rex

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Katrina Evacuation

We fled from Katrina’s wrath Sunday morning with my four girls, my brother and his family of three more children, and our friend Laura. None of us had a clue as to what was in store for us other than the prospect of another large storm heading our way.

We hit the back roads as the main arteries and interstate highways were in contra-flow emergency mode and we didn’t want to get stuck in the midst of a few thousand automobiles. Our destination was NNW as my wife’s uncle had made reservations for us for a few nights at the Ramada Inn Hilltop on the Mississippi River in Natchez Mississippi. What was normally a two to three hour trip took us nearly six and a half hours.

Staying in the hotels and on the road is very expensive particular when you are trying to feed five adults and seven children so as we heard more and more grim news in regards to the devastation in New Orleans and the Slidell area we knew that our stay was going to be much longer than we thought and with limited financial resources we simply prayed for provision, wisdom, and strength.

At about one o’clock on Tuesday of this week my wife’s uncle and his girlfriend were in a park near downtown Natchez and a woman approached them, asking questions about their cats who were both in kitty carriers. When they explained that they were fleeing the storm she asked about accommodations and soon offered them possible refuge.

I only know her as Jeanette and her husband is a retired dentist in Natchez and she was actively pursuing refugees in the city to see what she could do for them. We took her up on a her offer to go see a house and we were directed to Bob and Kathy Siezemore who have just moved up the street and have a vacant home available. What an incredible answer to prayer! The house is an old home in historic Natchez and has three bedrooms and is very spacious but has been closed up for a few months so needed to be cleaned.

We spent most of Wednesday moving boxes around and cleaning up clutter, dust, debris and readying the residence for occupation.

The children still think they are on a vacation even though the older girls know a bit more, but they don’t really understand. In fact, I don’t think us adults really understand that our entire lives have been put on hold, turn upside down, shaken sideways, and that perhaps our homes don’t exist. We have not gotten word on our specific area and home situation and are not allowed back in to the neighborhoods yet so we wait in hope and dread hearing more news on the television.

My brother rigged up an old TV with a coat hanger antenna so we can see some news and we still have no telephone either by land line or cell. I’m using my laptop right now to type this on the steps of a neighbor’s house borrowing some wifi bandwidth.

Our church is more than likely destroyed by both wind and water and we are in the process of still trying to locate all of our members to see what their needs are. You can view our church’s site at www.sgfellowship.org to read a blog that’s been setup there to serve as an update as well.

That’s all for now, I will try to update this blog as I can and let you know of our needs.

Alpha and Omega Ministries has set up a donation account for us here: www.aomin.org/index.php?itemid=625

Our biggest needs will be food and utilities. I am currently locating a refrigerator in the neighborhood for the twelve of us and the people here have been amazing; a true neighborhood of charity.

Our mailing address is : The Louisiana Katrina Refugee Camp 819 Washington St. Natchez, MS 39120

This has been an incredible time for us to see God answer prayer. Amidst the desolation, anger, hurt, death, destruction and chaos He never sleeps nor discontinues His graciousness.

8 Comments:

  • Eddie, we've all been praying for you and the rest of brothers and sisters in Christ unknown to us yet known to the Lord. We praise the Lord for the way He has extended His amazing grace and love toward your family and others there. You can count on many of us to support you guys as you rebuild.

    I read this verse in Romans this morning:

    Rom 8:18 For I calculate that the sufferings of the present time are not worthy to compare to the coming glory to be revealed in us.

    May all that you guys do be to His glory. May He give you constant peace and comfort and patience as you have to deal with various issues.

    Blessings bro!

    Denise

    By Blogger Denise, at 9:52 AM  

  • Eddie, you have my prayers as well. I'm praying for my parents and don't know if they are okay (St. Tammany Parish and Mississippi Gulf Coast). So many have lost so much. I simply lost power for fourteen hours. I live in a fairly large home w/ just me and my children....At #prosapologian, I am NeedANap. My name is Gretchen. So, if you end up needing to come closer to N.O. and need a place to stay, my home is open to you and your children.
    I work for my uncle at Chef John Folse & Co. and we're currently working on getting mass amounts of food to prepare and distribute to Baton Rouge/Gonzales area shelters.
    Please keep us posted on how your church and family is doing.

    By Blogger Gretchen, at 10:27 AM  

  • For a detailed list of the blessings we've been experiencing here in Natchez, go see my blog: http://standingbygrace.blogspot.com.
    God is amazing.

    By Blogger Laura, at 10:44 AM  

  • Eddie,

    when Nina read Laura's account to me, my heart just sank for all of you there. I was at the same time so blessed to hear her (in her writing) praising the Lord for His providence even in such horrible circumstances.

    I just got off the phone with my pastor, and our church up here in Ontario Canada would like to help your church as well.

    I'll be sharing this info with the church this Sunday. Please get ahold of me to let me know what the most urgent needs are, so that I can share this info with the congregation on Sunday.

    SDG - Carla
    kncrolfe@hotmail.com

    By Blogger Carla Rolfe, at 11:19 AM  

  • Eddie,

    You have my prayers and however else I am able to help.

    Mark

    By Blogger Mark, at 11:59 AM  

  • I have room for a family of 4 from your church if needed... I want to offer to the general public but I am scared of just any body! I am in Tyler Texas. We are praying for the dis-placed families, and your church. You know , God is in control, may His glory shine through in this devestation.
    In His grace,
    Glenda

    By Blogger Glenda, saved by grace, at 2:42 PM  

  • You guys, this is SO cool how the Body of Christ is coming together to reach out to those who have lost everything in this disaster. I can't tell you how your willingness to help the church has encouraged ME, and I'm all the way in California.

    Praise the Lord for taking care of His dear children. His grace is so amazing and so undeserved. How humbling indeed.

    Denise

    By Blogger Denise, at 4:17 PM  

  • I'm praying for you and yours Eddie. For those of you who missed the link, go here to make a donation to Sovereign Grace Fellowship:

    http://aomin.org/index.php?itemid=625

    By Blogger Paul Oliver, at 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home